Written by admin

Divorce in Oklahoma FAQ

How long does it take to get a divorce in Oklahoma?

If no children are born of the marriage, a divorce in Oklahoma can finalize in 10 days. If there are children born of the marriage, an Oklahoma divorce with children usually takes approximately 90 days.

What are the divorce filing residency requirements in Oklahoma?

The Petitioner must be resident in good faith for at least (30) days preceding the filing of a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in the County the Reside and of the State of Oklahoma for at least (6) months.

What are the Legal Grounds for Divorce in Oklahoma?

The following is a list of the Oklahoma divorce filing Legal Grounds for divorce. Click HERE for a link to the OSCN.NET OS 43 Citation for the exact statute regarding these requirements.

      1. 1. Abandonment for one year;
      1. 2. Adultery;
      1. 3. Impotency;
      1. 4. When the wife, at the time of the marriage, was pregnant by someone other than her husband;
      1. 5. Extreme cruelty;
      1. 6. Fraudulent contract;
      1. 7. Incompatibility;
      1. 8. Habitual drunkenness;
      1. 9. Gross neglect of duty;
      1. 10. Imprisonment of the other party in a state or federal penal institution under sentence for the commission of a felony at the time the Petition is filed;
      1. 11. The procurement of a final divorce decree outside of the state by a husband or wife which does not release the other party from the obligations of the marriage in Oklahoma; and
      1. 12.Insanity for a period of five (5) years, the insane person having been an inmate of a state institution for the insane in the State of Oklahoma, or inmate of a state institution for the insane in some other state for such period, or of a private sanitarium, and affected with a type of insanity with a poor prognosis for recovery; provided, that no divorce shall be granted because of insanity until after a thorough examination of such insane person by three physicians, one of whom shall be a superintendent of the hospital or sanitarium for the insane in which the insane defendant is confined, and the other two to be appointed by the court before whom the action is pending, and any two of such physicians shall agree that such insane person, at the time the petition in the divorce action is filed, has a poor prognosis for recovery; provided, further, however, that no divorce shall be granted on this ground to any person whose husband or wife is an inmate of a state institution in any other than the State of Oklahoma, unless the person applying for such divorce shall have been a resident of the State of Oklahoma for at least five (5) years prior to the commencement of an action; and provided further, that a decree granted on this ground shall not relieve the successful party from contributing to the support and maintenance of the defendant. The court shall appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the insane defendant, which appointment shall be made at least ten (10) days before any decree is entered.

Can you do a Same-Sex Divorce in Oklahoma?

Yes. Our company actually drafted the paperwork for the 1st successful Same-Sex divorce case in Oklahoma after the Oklahoma Supreme Court officially recognized same-sex marriages. Divorces were naturally added to that recognition.

How much does it cost to get a divorce?

We save our customers THOUSANDS of dollars! The average cost of a litigated divorce in Oklahoma is $18,700 (with children)! Express Documents and Mediation, Inc. starts at $149 without children and $249 with children click here to schedule a free appointment to discuss or call us at (405) 633-3194 for immediate assistance!

The answer is $18,700 as surveyed

How many divorces does your company handle each year?

Express Documents and Mediation, Inc. helps approximately 2,000 divorcing couples each year in Oklahoma!

Can I file for divorce in Oklahoma myself?

Yes! Our company specializes in assisting people in getting a divorce in Oklahoma on their own without having to hire an expensive divorce lawyer! We can help you file for divorce in Oklahoma without a lawyer.

What is an Uncontested Divorce?

An Uncontested Divorce is a method of getting a divorce in Oklahoma without having to fight costly battles in court. Express Documents and Mediation, Inc. provides a host of divorce services which model around uncontested divorce in Oklahoma that is designed to settle divorces quickly, efficiently, outside of court without the hassle of expensive divorce attorneys.

What is a Waiver Divorce in Oklahoma?

A waiver divorce in Oklahoma is a divorce whereby one party (petitioner) files a divorce petition, and the other party (respondent) signs a Waiver which allows them to waive their appearance in court as well as their right to be served a summons by a licensed process server or sheriff. The parties both agree to the terms of the divorce and do not wish to fight in court.

What is Divorce Mediation?

Divorce Mediation is a process whereby two opposing parties hire a neutral 3rd party negotiator to help them settle outstanding issues so that a Divorce Decree can be drafted which both parties agree to sign. Rather than hiring lawyers and fighting endless, exhaustive and expensive battles in courts, the parties can use one mediator to find agreements which will allow for a more simple divorce process. Divorce Mediation has been shown to save thousands of dollars in divorce fees. In addition to financial savings, studies have shown that minor children are 85% more likely to be successful when their parents go through a mediated divorce vs. a litigated divorce.

How do I file for divorce in Oklahoma without a lawyer?

Step One: Contact Express Documents and Mediation and ask for a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. We will provide this in addition to other documents you will need to file and finalize a divorce in Oklahoma.

Step Two: Once document drafting process is complete, file appropriate documents at the District Court Clerk’s Office in the County where you reside. We will give you the address, phone and room number in our detailed filing instructions.

Step Three: Wait the required statutory waiting period time. 10 days in a divorce with no children; 90 days in a divorce with children, whereas 90 days might be waived if your Judge approves an Application to Waive the 90 Day Waiting Period.

Step Four: Have spouse sign the appropriate documents. Again, this will be detailed in our very thorough filing instructions, subject to the documents required for your case.

Step Five: After the statutory waiting period is up, go to the courthouse and see the Judge who is assigned to your case. IF approved, your divorce will be final that day. If not approved, contact us for revisions. (Some Judge’s have unforeseen requirements. We are FULLY PREPARED to help you should this rare occasion happen.)

Step Six: Go live a happy life! Don’t get married for 6 months after your Decree is signed by the judge!

Where can I find a list of Oklahoma Divorce Laws?

You can click this link here to see an entire list of Oklahoma divorce laws!

8 thoughts on “Divorce in Oklahoma FAQ

  1. Hi,

    I am looking to do a legal name change. I am not married though. A friend/co-worker told me you did her name change in addition to her divorce. So I thought I would reach out and see if you could assist me with just my name change. If that is not something you are able to do, then I apologize and thank you for your time.

    1. Daniel – yes we can! If you have not called the office, please do! We apologize for the late reply, but we definitely can and will help you! 💪💪

  2. Can you help with a Same Sex divorce in Oklahoma? I need help but I don’t know where my spouse is and haven’t seen her in 6 months. Is that still uncontested?

    1. Samantha – yes! We call this a missing spouse divorce, or a publication divorce – but before we jump to that conclusion, we would like to discuss the situation with you to make sure there are no easier alternative routes.

      Many times when we get a missing spouse situation, we find that with a little digging, we can solve a divorce – same sex or other – in as littles as 10-14 days! Give us a call at (405) 633-3194 and let us see if we can make this easier – or if missing spouse is the only way to go!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *